Monday 10 October 2016

Crocheted Winter Comfort


Hello! I hope you are all enjoying the day.  Here in the Yukon it's a cool fall day, but the sun is shining and it's beautiful!  I was recently gifted some beautiful soft yarn and decided to make a winter set with it.


I made the hat with the variegated blue yarn and then added a rim of matching grey.  I crocheted the flower with some of both and attached a big wooden button.

I made just a basic beanie.
Special ring with 10 sc in it, pulled closed.
Row 2: chained 3, then did a double crochet in each of those stitches for the second row.
Row 3: chain 3, then hdc in next st, 2 hdc in next st. followed this pattern around.
Row 4: chain 3, then hdc in next 2 stitches, 2 hdc in next st.  Followed this pattern around.
Row 5 chain 3, then hdc in next 3 stitches, 2 hdc in next st.  Followed this pattern around.
Row 6 then I since it was big enough for me, I just did a hdc in each of the following stitches.  and added then added rows up to 14 rows for my head size. :)


For the flower, I made a chain of 4 and sl to join.  Chained 1 single crocheted 12 stitches into the ring.    Chained 3 then made a cluster of 2more dc, chained 2 and then made 5 more clusters of three dc with a chain 2 in-between.  Oh, and I skipped a stitch and put the clustered in ever second stitch.  Sl to join.  Then I did a hdc, 3 dc and 1 hdc sequence in each of the chains between the clusters to form the petals.  Then I sewed on the button and sewed it onto the hat with a darning needle and matching yarn.


For the headband, I used a new stitch I learned...which is the mini-bean stitch from Hopeful Honey. It's an easy fun stitch and I love the texture it gives.  For the smaller part of the headband, I just winged it and decreased until I got the desired width and then increased to meet the other side.  Slip stitching them together.  O also added two of the same large wooden buttons to this.  Love the buttons!  Below is a closer up of the pattern I used.


Finally I have the mittens I made.  I love making mittens, and as the weather gets colder, I'll be adding a liner to them so they'll be good in all weather.  Perhaps a removable one...not sure yet.

I didn't find a pattern I liked best, so I just made it up as I went along using things I had read in a few different ones. :)
I did a special ring at the top with 10 sc stitches inside and joined with a sl.  Tightened.
Row 2: chain 3, HDC in next stitch, 2 HDC in next stitch, repeating this pattern around.(14 st)
Row 3: chain 3, HDC in next stitch, 2 HDC in next stitch, repeating this pattern around. (20 st)
Row 4: Now HDC in each stitch starting with the top of the next stitch (don't chain up) and then continuing round and round into you get to the top of the thumb.
Row 5/6: Chain 9 stitches, skip 4 stitches and HDC into the next st.  Then HDC all the way around to the beginning of the chain, HDC through each of the chain stitches and then all the way back around to the beginning of the thumb hole.
Row 7/8: Do a HDC decrease in the next two stitches, then another at the middle of the thumb chain and again at the end of the thumb chain. Then HDC all the way back around and do the same decreases in the next row.
At this point I found the length to be good for my hand, but you might like to put in an extra row or so of just regular HDC in each stitch.
Row 9-13/14: Here I stared to HDC in front and back posts to create the cuff.  I didn't make that many rows, but you could make it as many as suited you.
For the thumb, I just looped in a new yarn at the base of the thumb hole and chained up 2.  Then I HDC in some stitches and did HDC decreases every 2-3 stitches all the way around not chaining up to the next row, but climbing in a spiral.  Once the thumb was long enough, I just closed it up with a daring needle and some extra yarn.


Thanks for stopping by!  I hope that some of my explanations help you if you'd like to try making some to.  It's so nice to have something handmade instead of just buying the ones at the store.  Personal Opinion. :)

Praying you have a blessed day!

Sharing with The Art of Homemaking Mondays.


SaveSave
SaveSave

3 comments:

Roseann Hampton said...

These look really warm and comfy!

living from glory to glory said...

These are so very cute, loved the colors of the yarn!! The button was the perfect touch! You did a great job! I just pulled out some yarn myself!!
You go girl!
Hugs, Roxy

Danielle Dunn said...

So pretty Mom. You look so nice wearing them. :)))